- CGT is payable by individuals, trustees and . Companies pay corporation tax on their capital gains.
- There are annual tax-free allowances (the ‘annual exempt amount’) for individuals, trustees and PRs. Companies do not have an annual exempt amount.
- For individuals, net gains are added to to determine the appropriate rate of tax. The standard rate applies only to the net gains which, when added to total taxable income, do not exceed the .
- Gains which qualify for are charged at 10% for the first £10m of qualifying gains.
- Gains which qualify for are charged at 10% for the first £1 million.
Rates and annual exemption
The higher rate applies to higher rate and additional rate taxpayers.
Additionally, higher rates of 18% and 28% may apply to the disposal of certain residential property.